You are visitor number

9 October 2015

1,000 days

It's a thousand days since my sister left us (and almost as long since I've updated this blog). I didn't realise it was, but Mum has this date and time app and every so often, it pops up and tells us it's been so many weeks or so many days and she doesn't like to delete it now. So it keeps popping up.

I was trying to figure out how old I'd be when it reaches 10,000 days ... 100,000 days ... dead probably. It seems an awfully long time away and yet it's strange, because it doesn't seem two minutes since Alice was here. But time is just that and nothing more; it doesn't blur the memories I have. As a ten-year-old, I can recall my disbelief at not being old enough to join Mum on a girls spa day. In the background, desperate to rescue the situation, Alice was busy creating our own spa escape, offering nails, Lush baths and massage, complete with snacks and drinks. We finished the night off snuggled together watching a movie. In all honesty, I probably had more fun than I'd have had at the real spa. Those are the kind of memories that feel as if they happened yesterday (minus the Princess strop) and those are the things I miss.

Alice's spa sign
In my last blog post, I was just into my GCSE exams. With the exception of a couple, they weren't as bad as they could have been and I was happy with my results. I had been accepted onto a Film Production course (screen writing is something I'm really interested in) but my results also gained me a place at Lancaster Girls Grammar Sixth Form, which left me with a dilemma. Ultimately, I decided that A levels were the best route for me and I'm now studying English Language, English Literature, Art and Geography - all subjects I love! In art, we're studying Juxtaposition and I've chosen to do War and Peace which I'm enjoying developing. Lancaster is a beautiful city, the school is full of opportunities and I think I made the right choice.

One of my art pieces
Through the summer, we returned back to Cornwall with my friend, Callum, and the Mums even attempted to learn to surf (which was semi successful)! We enjoyed camping back at Wooda with fantastic weather and many memorable days on the beach with the fantastic team at Big Blue Surf School. I also travelled to Italy and visited Rome, Pisa and, most importantly, Pompeii, where we scattered some of Alice's ashes according to her wishes.

Me and Callum in Cornwall
I also experienced my first solo festival, Kendal Calling, which was a fantastic experience, saddened by the death of a fellow festival goer on the first evening. I didn't know the person concerned, but it certainly affected people. Life is so fragile.

I'm continuing with my volunteering. Alice's charity has been really busy through the summer and we've met some amazing families. Mabel is often down at the charity office and the children love her - Lottie is kept hidden as she is full of Tigger-like bounciness!  Starting at LGGS gave me an opportunity to continue volunteering at Oxfam as part of my Enrichment Program. It's really good to be able to continue to volunteer locally as these places couldn't operate without volunteers.

Yay, no uniform!
I've just turned seventeen and for my birthday, my Nan and Grandad bought me ten driving lessons! I had my first one on my birthday and it's going well, if a little scary. Thankfully, I've improved since lesson three when I almost drove into a wall - dual control has its benefit!

Only two weeks from now, I'll actually be in PERU trekking for Alice! I can't believe it's come around so quickly. I'm taking my GoPro with me and hope to edit a video of my trip. This will be my first big trip without Mum being a part of it which will be strange, although she was lucky enough to do the same trek a few years back as part of a fundraising team for Great Ormond Street Hospital. Anyway, sponsor link for my trek in aid of Alice's Escapes is HERE and if you keep an eye on Alice's Facebook page, I'll be making some Alice things to raise funds too.

I'll hopefully update when I get back ... will leave you with the last training video I edited.

Milly x

37 comments:

  1. Love your art piece. Very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As often as Alice's blog pops up I check it to see if you've posted. Your growing up to be such a beautiful, kind and loving young lady. God Bless you Milly I'm sure Alice is looking down on you grinning from ear to ear. :D Darlene in NY state USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I like to think Alice is watching me too x

      Delete
  3. Lovely to read the blog update and to hear all that you've been doing. Your artwork is fantastic ... you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol not really but I do love art, so much that I'm thinking I might follow it through at Uni x

      Delete
  4. It was lovely to wake up to a new post by you Milly! It's very hard to believe that it's been so long since you had to say goodbye to your dear sister but it looks like you've kept yourself very busy indeed and Alice would be so incredibly proud of all you've accomplished! I look forward to the next post and then the next and the next after that! Love and hugs to you, your Mum and the rest of your beautiful family from Canada💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I need to remember to update bit more, I get distracted! (my mum said thank you too) x

      Delete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to update us. It's good to hear about your life and adventures. Best of luck to you from Alabama in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I love reading where all of Alice's blog followers come from. I bet she would be surprised that it's still going although I love going back and reading through her early posts when she was just typing something and then a minute later someone would say that they wanted to sort it. Then she had to start saying I can't write about that because they'll think I'm asking for it lol, we had a lot of giggles when Alice did her blog x

      Delete
  6. Great update and videos Milly! Hard to believe it has been 1000 days.
    I am happy to report that you inspired me to trek to Machu Picchu as well. I decided back in March while living with an 80 year old with lung and brain cancer. I am a palliative care provider who stays with people who want to die at home. My dear friend (I had known her almost 50 years) asked that I carry some of her ashes on the trip along the Inca Trail. I promised I would bring her with me.

    I arrive in Lima on October 14th but plan to spend some time in Cuzco getting acclimated to the altitude before heading out on the trek. I have been a follower of Alice and now you since early days. Three years ago I held an event in Vancouver to raise awareness for the donor registry. I also cut off all my hair (so did some friends) to donate to Locks of Love for ill children in Alice's honor.

    I plan to be in Machu Picchu close the the end of October (my birthday is the 29th) and to also celebrate the Day of the Dead.

    I hope our paths cross along the journey... if not, our spirits will for sure. Afterwards, I'll be shooting a documentary in the Amazon forest and other regions in Peru where the indigenous people are struggling to achieve a sustainable lifestyle.

    Thanks for your tenacity and for carrying on in memory of your sister... I will look for you along the way.

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just found a minute to read through the comments properly and can't believe I didn't see it sooner. I fly on 23 October and will be in Machu Picchu on 30th October ... I'll have my purple t-shirt on :) maybe you can spot me if you're there! Wow, Vancouver was my one of my favourite trips ever. It's cool that you ran a donor recruit, it can be hard work convincing people that it's the right thing to do. I would love to have longer to spend in Peru, but I am on half term and my school are being good by giving me two days off in addition to my half term break, so I don't think they'd be too impressed if I suddenly announced I needed a month to venture around the Amazon basin - so jealous of you! Thanks for your message,
      Milly x

      Delete
  7. Terrific to hear from you Milly. Alice would be so proud of your achievements both academically and with the charities. It does seem like yesterday she was here writing to us all. Happy the family is doing well. Blessings x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, school is harder now it's A levels and I'm not the brightest person so I do have to work really hard, but I love the subjects I'm doing now so it's better than when you're made to do science or stuff you hate! Alice used to spend hours updating her blog, something I'm not quite as good at remembering x

      Delete
  8. Nice to hear all of your news Milly. I always enjoy your updates. You are on an amazing journey, and it's wonderful you are willing to share both the highs and the lows with others. Very inspiring! Keep on! - Holly, sending love from Utah ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I keep saying this, but I will try to update a bit more than I have been doing :)

      Delete
  9. Hello,
    My name is André Luz, I also have a blog and follow her, did not lose a sister, but I lost a son. I do not know if you will me entendender because I'm using google translator but would like to get you what was good for me, rather than think of the days (which do not come back), I began to think of him simply because counting the days will only make you more miserable every day, soon will be our turn to go and sure enough, we will all meet, I you, your sister and my son and there we will laugh a lot of it all.
    A kiss, God be with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olá, obrigado por escrito e eu sinto muito sobre o seu filho . Minha mãe sente falta de Alice tanto a cada dia. Estou animado para estar nas montanhas , porque Alice amou as montanhas e eu me sinto perto dela lá, Milly x

      Delete
  10. Hi Milly,
    thanks to your sister I have re-registered with the bone marrow register here in Germany after moving back from Canada. I haven't been back here at your sister's blog for a while. I am very pleased to read that you keep carrying on! I hope you are having a great trip. All the best with your studies. Hello from Jena in Germany.
    Ramona :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit delayed, but thank you so much for joining the bone marrow register. I had a fantastic trip to Peru, such an amazing country with wonderful people x

      Delete
  11. Love your art and how you are still showing so much resilience, Milly.
    Good Luck in Peru!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I still really love art and whether to take it as a degree or whether to follow something more academic is a really difficult decision.

      Delete
  12. Hello Alice, I hope you will never get tired of doing good things for others especially when you're volunteering. :) God bless you always my dear!

    Thanks,
    Nicolas / A Volunteer in the Philippines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you, no, I hope I won't ever be too busy to have time for others ;)

      Delete
  13. Your artwork is amazing! Literially in awe! And so inspired by you! Keep on doing what your doing and you will get you bucket list finished <3 Lots of Love,

    Isobel

    http://isobelmarian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do love art and have a dilemma at the moment in that I don't know whether to do a degree in art or sociology. I'll link up to your blog, thanks for posting. Milly

      Delete
  14. 1000 days already? Hard to believe. And for you, it must seem like yesterday. I know Alice goes with you in some way as you travel, and I'm so glad to hear you continue to be able to do things in her memory despite schoolwork becoming more intensive. Good luck to you as you continue what must be a very busy year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was a busy year but it always feels good to be busy doing things, especially when there's a connection to Alice.

      Delete
  15. Hello, My name is Jonathan Mendenhall and I just happen to come across this blog while researching on cancer and all the misc. alternatives that may also help. I found the link to this blog on another blog that was talking about the cons asparagus can have on certain cancer types. All I can say after reading through everything is WOW. What an amazing young lady to go through everything with such a positive attitude. The world lost a good person just after new years day a few years ago, and I feel privileged to have come across this and read it. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I came across this blog while researching cancer treatment alternatives. There was a link in another blog I was reading through about asparagus and just how bad it potentially can be. Alice had made a post on it in 2011 and it linked here, so I read through everything and all I have to say is WOW! What an amazing and positive young lady, especially going through what she was. I feel privileged just to have read this, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just seen this, thank you, Jonathan x

      Delete
  17. Hi, Milly, just a reminder that not everyone who reads your blog actually posts. Many of us will never forget you or Alice or your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet, thank you so much, Milly x

      Delete
  18. Hey, Dude your blog awesome, I am going to copy all these points for our next post
    bucket list

    ReplyDelete